Usually, I enjoy this time of the year; spring has arrived, it's a bit warmer, the days are a bit longer too - this year, however, is not like others, making it a bit harder for everyone.
I try and frame times like these as an opportunity to focus more on internal growth - "this too shall pass", but I might as well try and take something positive out of (and my mind away from focusing on) the never ending lockdowns.
With that in mind, I created a small worksheet to help me think out my future plans - I posted about it before but now seems a good time to re-link it. Specifically, it looks at the following areas to help you plan out the future.
- Identifying target goals - what are the goals that you want to achieve or work towards over the next 12 months?
- Reflecting on those of your goals and whether you're already working towards them (e.g. I want to stop smoking, currently I smoke 5 cigarettes daily which is down from 10 daily six months ago).
- Making a list of potential barriers to succeeding and how to overcome them - you can read more about that here.
- Listing out any resources (books, information, time) you think you'll need to succeed and how to get them.
- Thinking about any habits that might help with achieving your goal(s).
- How to review your progress at regular intervals.
- Planning a path from where you are now to a point where you achieve your goal(s).
- Tracking random ideas related to your goal(s) that might be relevant at a later point.
While I love computers (and have built my career using them), for sketching out ideas, there’s nothing better than pen and paper for sketching out ideas and getting a basic plan together - so I've merged the two in one handy document.