TLDR: Download the PDF here.
I’ve always been interested in helping people both achieve their goals and building the habits and techniques that make it easier to achieve them.
I tend to use a general process for setting and achieving my goals.
- Identifying target goals.
- Reflecting on the current state of my goals (e.g. I want to stop smoking, currently I smoke 5 cigarettes daily which is down from 10 daily six months ago).
- Making a list of potential barriers to succeeding and how to overcome them (coping planning).
- Listing out any resources (books, information, time) I need to succeed and how to get them.
- Thinking about any habits that might help with achieving my goal(s).
- Reviewing my progress at regular intervals.
- Planning a path from where I am now to a point where I achieve my goal(s).
- Tracking random ideas related to my goal(s) that might be relevant at a later point.
I built a website to track and plan out personal goals - I'll put up a post on it someday. Right now, the the site is here.
However, long before that site was built, I was using pen and paper to plan out our goals. As a developer, I was keen on building the app straight away, but it’s better to start off small before you commit to building a fully functioning web site and application. Don’t run before you can walk!
A free goal/planning worksheet
So, using that pen and paper, I sketched out what the different components of achieving a goal looked like. It eventually turned into a PDF worksheet that I’re releasing today for free. It has some examples present for each part of the process - if you want a version without the examples or a different format (maybe a printed version?), get in touch!